Sunday, September 12, 2010

How Does Science Work??

How does Science work?  This is the question I will reflect on in this blog.  I have a hard time organizing my thoughts because I see Science as an incredibly vast concept.  The first thing that comes to my mind to help me make sense of the randomness in my head are movies.   My main interest has always been theories and research on outer space and I can remember watching movies like Contact and Apollo 13 as a child.  They gave me my first real impression of how Science works.  The Science depicted in these movies was done collaboratively with a lot of trial and error and I still understand Science to work this same way today.  I've never thought of Science as an area that could be accomplished individually.  To you Science buffs and non Science buffs, is this possible?   This may seem like a naive question, but my mind is definitely new to reflecting on such topics.  Science is complicated and I think it would work better to have more than one mind to accomplish the goal at hand.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are wrestling with these ideas. I find it interesting that you found the portrayals in movies to be collaborative. Unfortunately most "popular media" make science seem very different from what science is actually like. We'll discuss this in class, but i do want to note that scientists ARE very social, so your instincts seem to be on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. :) Science is a very strange concept to me too also that I have yet to grasp.

    ReplyDelete